Thursday 17 September 2009

7. Internationally diverse, but really not so different.

September 17, 2009
9:33pm

Aside from not knowing whether or not I've "paid" for my course, I'm feeling pretty darn good about this place and time in my life. I enjoyed registration much more than I thought I would at the start of today. This morning, I was hanging back, mostly observing people and the energy in our "registration room", and I didn't have much to say to anyone. I was trying to figure out who might be MA Actors vs the MA Musical Theatres, who was an International student and if there was anyone close to my age in the room.

Of all the seats I could have sat it, I picked the one next to Tegan, the American girl I was supposed to meet up with yesterday and never did. She introduced herself right away and introduced me to the girl sitting next to her- Charlotte- Tegan's roomie and another MA Actor. I like Charlotte immediately and was glad she's on my course.

As aluded to above, the morning began shakey. I realised that, instead of having the required TWO passport photos, I only had ONE. Also, when I tried to find a pen in my little pen pouch (I came so prepared! I thought!) to fill out my registration form with, I didnt have one. Tegan let me borrow one of hers. Then, when we had to meet individually with the financial aid representitive to see our financial status re. payment to the school, he told me he didnt have any forms or information on me at all. Freakin Great. I just don't know how other students have managed, but even with emailing Elaine Breakenridge in financial aid almost daily, I've still managed to end up as one of the nightmare cases and I'll be going in bright an early tomorrow morning to try to sort it out. *sigh*

The rest of the day began looking up- especially around lunch time. I sat with a group of lovely girls over lunch- Charlotte (MAA), Tegan (MAMT), Ros (MAA), Kelly (MAA)... and we got to know each other better- over stories of regretful drunken hangovers and tea. I also learned a little more about each girl's story- age, family, home, etc. I discovered that not only am I not the oldest student on the course (we have a few 30yr. olds), but I also am not the only one accepted on a "Professional Credits" offer, vs having my BA- as Charlotte is in the v. same situation! She spent time touring with Joseph... (a musical!) and has worked professionally in dance and musical performances for years. It felt really good to connect to someone with a similar background to me, who shares in my nerves and also goals for the program- to be a better actress. Tegan also shares a story with me. We both began college for musical theatre, and we were both told we couldn't do it. Although she completed her BA in another field- whereas I just left and moved to NY- I can see she has some of the same wounds I spent so many years getting rid of, and I empathise with her greatly. I am also so proud of her for saying "screw you" to her university and coming to pursue musical theatre at GSA instead! (a school which will carry much more weight on her resume anyhow!)

Many people today talked about their audition process to be accepted into this program. Apparently, roughly 3,000 applicants auditioned, and only 8 Acting and 15 (?) Musical Theatre sudents were accepted. WOW. They had about 3 rounds of auditions as well- call backs and work sessions! I'm sorry I missed out of the work sessions, as they sound like fun. But it made me feel good and thankful that Peter Barlow not only saw me for a private audition, but that his faith in me was great enough to offer me a spot here without seeing me 3 times and in work sessions. It confirms to me, again, that this is exactly where I'm supposed to be.

We toured the campus of both the University and of Millmead Terrace- where the old GSA buildings are. The campus has so much to offer- a great cafeteria with lots of gourmet coffees and teas, a wonderful library where I can not only reserve and check out books but also DVDs, free student health care- doctor's visits, prescriptions, counseling sessions... and a student union which offers everything from sporting groups to yoga classes and budgeting advice. (I need this and will take advantage!).

In one of the GSA buildings we toured, we got to watch the advanced fencing students practicing. They were wonderful and the course looks amazing! I learned that in January we will begin our week long stage combat intensive training- from 9-5:30 every day!- and at the end of that time, we will have the option to pay twenty-five pounds and continue training... and eventually be taken to a haunted castle for a fencing match! A M A Z I N G. I don't care if I'm the worst fencer they've ever seen, I am paying that money and taking this course! It, btw, is equivalent to a seven hundred pound course offered outside a school environment. I can't freakin' wait!!!!!!!

At the v. end of the day, we all went for drinks at the local pub near Millmead Terrace. Most of us went non-alcoholic, and I myself had a ginger beer (no beer in it). It was my first and v. delicious. Cannot make a habit of them though. Starting Monday, I am becomming the world's healthiest eater- protein and veggies!!! But today, the cold sugary fizzing ginger beer was divine!

Finally, a few of the girls and I decided to have a Sunday "dinner" at 1pm at my place this weekend. We will each team up with another girl (so to lower the costs!) and contibute something- wine, cheese, pasta, fruit... and we will sit out on my balcony and enjoy the view. I'm so glad they are looking to do mature, fun things rather than just go out bar hopping every night. What a relief!

Well, I'm officially exhausted! And exhausted at the thought of having to wake at 7am again and deal with finances 1st thing in the morning. I am so worried I'm going to run out of money while I'm here! I know I have people in my life who love me and will help me, but I'm so uncomfotable asking- not for pride's sake but because I never want to seem like I'm taking advantage (when these friendships are SO MUCH MORE important to me!!!). *huge sigh* Lord, bring the money from somewhere! For now- I'll live in this moment of having enough and being on this wonderful journey.

With Love and very sleepy,
Juliana

P.S. I forgot to mention how good it feels to be the different one- the one who is from Los Angeles and New York. New York is the center of everything- or at least it felt so today! *smile*

1 comment:

  1. /this is all so exciting Juliana! I truly can't wait for what is next. I am not surprised by all of your wonderful treatment-a rare girl like you will have all of this and much more! I agree w Mom- you ARE an author! xoxolove Daddy

    ReplyDelete