Tuesday 22 September 2009

9. Theatre games and frozen pizza.

September 21, 2009
9pm


It's done. My first day as an MA Actor is over and done with, and it was quite successful in multiple ways.

The day began in a lecture hall at the Uni. But first...

 When I woke this morning at 7am, I showered, dressed and had breakfast downstairs while reading my book of Proverbs mom gave me before I left LA. I was very nervous about the day and very anxious about it becoming another "CCM experience," so it was v. important for me to take some time to connect with our creator and provider and caretaker, before officially heading into the year.

 Pamela had promised to knock on my door on her way to campus, so we could walk together. After my reading, and while waiting for her to arrive, I decided to do sit-ups for the first time in about 2 months; mi goodness I was weak! Luckily, she saved me about 4 push-ups in, but I won't be so lucky tomorrow.  We joined the other MAs at the top (back rows) of the seating and sat for the next hour listening to the wonderful Peter Barlow, director of GSA (and also my "angel" in making this possible for me) spoke to us about goals for this year- discovering what makes each of us "tick," taking every opportunity to explore our talents, not only discovering who we are (most people do this through their relationships or define themselves by their professions), but also challenging us to begin to make a contribution to the "whole"- our class and the arts and the world. He urged us to practice intensely, giving us impressive statistics about people who spend genuine time outside of their "learning time" vs people who rarely practice, and how those who practice, regardless of either groups natural ability, succeed in much greater capacities. What struck me the most about Peter's talk to us was the idea that what distinguishes one is not how talented one is, but how much one practices and how hard one works. His talk was inspiring and a little daunting. One thing was very evident. He is a good man who really cares about his students. He stressed how GSA is a safe environment for us all to try, to fail, to grow, to explore and to give ourselves fully in this year. He then introduced us to the faculty, and I feel like I will never remember all their names or positions; there are so many of them!

After his talk, the MAs were dismissed to our workshops- held at GSA buildings. On our walk out of the room, Peter stopped me to say hello and the next thing I knew, we were giving each other a big hug, unclear as to who initiated it. He was so welcoming and sincere and kind as he looked at me and said, "what a journey you've had" with a smile on his face. I thanked him and made sure to tell him how happy I am to be here and how much I love it so far. I thanked him for helping me make this possible. He then told me he is going to New York in October and asked me to let him know if there is anything I need for him to pick up for me and bring back. How incredibly sweet he is! It felt really good getting such a nice, public welcome from the director of the school- and I think those who saw were quite impressed that he took this time he did with me. It made me feel very blessed and I think it was a direct answer to my  prayers from the morning. I felt it was a little sign that everything is going to not only be ok but also support and encourage my personal and professional growth this year- in huge ways. *sigh of relief*

We spent the remainder of our day at GSA studios, with the MA MTs. Terri Fender, head of MA studies and acting, spoke to us for a long while, encouraging us to face every moment of this year with bravery. She stressed the importance of the following 4 areas:

Curiousity- encouraging us to read papers and books and to ask questions, rather the accept the 1st east answer we're given about things. This "Wanting to Know"- about people, relationships, circumstances, boundaries, ideas, politics, motives, communication, and everything else life has to offer is critical for actors.

Commitment- A commitment to the individual and ensemble aspects of our work. She encouraged us to be willing to let go of things we've been holding onto for years, not intellectualize everything or anything and to apply every technique or exercise given to us without judgement or detachment or any sort of "wait and see what this does for me" attitude. We learn by doing- even when we're asked to do odd things.

Discipline- Striving for ENERGIZED concentration and attitudes- both in our own work and in our observation of the work of others. Also, being prompt and making being in every class a priority- for the sake of our classmates and ourselves. She stressed that without discipline, there can be no freedom and there can be no art. It's just a mess. I found that profound.

and lastly but not least...

Sense of Humor- "Take the work, not myself, seriously!" This was one of the most freeing things she said to us: We are allowed to risk and fail on a grand scale. She wants us to test the boundaries and try things we've never dared to try. Be courageous! ***Without willingness to fail, there can be no growth- only obedience, which is V. different from discipline.*** "Fail and then fail again...bigger!" Often the biggest growth comes out of the biggest failures.

*deep breaths* I long to fail and achieve growth and insight! I hope and will strive for being so courageous! She, like Peter Barlow, seems like a wonderful person who genuinely cares about her students- so unlike past school experiences and teachers I've had.

We spent the remainder of the day with Martin- who is in charge of musical theatre studies and was once a big time musical theatre director (Les Mis with Cameron Macintosh). Martin played several theatre games with us including:

1. walking around the room on our own paths, then acknowledging those we pass, then "stalking" someone discreetly, avoiding someone secretly and at one point, having to walk on a grid- straight lines only- without running into each other.

2. zip! zap! boing!- using out fingers are "light saber beams" to zip people (next to us) and zap people (anyone else in the circle) at lightning speed- focusing on being clear in our intentions and quick in reflexes and spontaneity. I was terrible at this game and was the first to sit out for not reacting quickly enough!

3. circle singing- he taught us a short little folk song. We then had to sing, passing it around the circle, each person singing only one word at a time, while keeping the tempo and feel of the song consistent- as if we were all one unit, like a well oiled machine. People had a very difficult time with this one, although it came very easily for me.

4. trust exercise- he split us into 4 groups of 7 people and  had us take turns in the center of the circle, eyes closed, trusting that no matter which direction we fell, our group would catch us.  The circle widens as time passes- making our "falls" a greater distance and trust a bigger, more difficult task. There was something very freeing and pleasurable about being in the center. I liked the relaxed sensation of being gently passed from person to person as I swayed effortlessly in their hands. It was, however, very difficult when the circle widened.

5. getting to know each other game- everyone takes off one show and sets it before them in the circle. Someone stands in the center of the circle and says, "My name is (name), and I (true statement)" ....and then everyone else, for whom this statement is true, has to run thru the center of the circle and quickly try to find another shoe to stand out. Ultimately, one person is "out" and then must be in the center to make their own statement. I was fairly successful at this game- esp. since half the statements weren't anything I even understood because they were English specific!

6. "Yes Lets!" and "no, lets not."- teams of 2, partners A and B. Partner A must suggest, enthusiastically, activities for them to do. Partner A may offer anything he/ she wishes. Partner B MUST respond with, "yes, lets!"- no matter that. Then switch. Then the game repeats itself with the set dialogue as, "no. let's not" This exercises is to demonstrate the traps of improve- and how if someone is always saying no to someone else, the scene goes no where or really has to be fought for. I LOVED this activity- especially being partner B in "yes, lets!" and partner A in, "no, lets not." I felt really bad when I had to shoot down partner A's ideas, and I found myself trying to justify reasons, in my head, for saying no.

7. story telling- partnering up, on our backs on the floor with heads side by side (facing opposite directions) and taking turns creating a descriptive story. It was very interesting to see the story telling shift from leaving the other person "hanging" on difficult or decision-making parts to working together to advance the story, and almost matching up completely with where the other person directed it to go. My story turned out to be very realistic and sweet- with a life lesson attached. I am a nerd.

Perhaps the most interesting exercises of the day was when he had us split into groups and develop a story we could tell by using only sound. The guide was this- create an environment either real or imaginary, without using words, 2 mins long, and an event must take place during it.  I had NO IDEA how to do this or what to do when we began. My group came up with a story completely void of any help or suggestions from me, but as we began working on putting it together, I found that I started contributing more and more until, finally, I seemed to be the "musical director" of my group's piece- making sure the timing wasn't rushed, that everyone knew their cues, and even contributing to the story itself. I went from contributing zero to 100% from the start to finish. Our group's was one of the 2 best, I think. We did a child's nightmare- beginning with a mother tucking her child in, kissing her good night and leaving the room, door closing behind her. The child yawns, murmers, falls asleep. The clock tick tocks in the corner of the room. The wind starts rustling. A muffled tv plays from downstairs. a storm begins slowly (snapping fingers, into banging the floor). things crash. werewolves howl. a witch cackles... finally the child screams, waking up, and runs out of the room. Nothing is left but the tick of the clock. tick tock tick tock... We presented it to the class by making them sit in the center of the room, as if they were each the child in our nightmare. When it was my turn to sit in the center while other groups presented, I closed my eyes and was amazed at how fully sound can tell a story. Almost every scene was moving.

At the end of a long, successful day, people divided and went separate ways- some to the river BBQ for freshers week, some home and Tegan, Candra and I over to Ros' house for coffee (v. strong, v. delicious!), chocolates, hippie tea and eventually frozen pizza (which was much more delicious than the pizza in town Friday night!) and salad. Ros was so generous to host us and feed us, and I was thrilled to have an opportunity to spend some time with her, as she has become one of my favorite MA girls in the last few days. She is so grounded and smart and down to earth. I'm hoping it will rub off on me! *grin* We played great music (she let me borrow a few cds- Pink Floyd's The Division Bell, King's of Leon's Only By Night, Arctic Monkeys' Whatever People Say I am, That' What I am Not and Stereophonics' Word gets Around), talked about wonderful books, read poetry and worked on our homework assignment, "Haikus" for Wednesday. It was a wonderful, wonderful time!

It's bedtime. Another long day tomorrow- who knows what is in store- improv was mentioned. I typically would be dreading that! This time, I'm actually looking forward to it. But for now... good night!

With Love (and apologies for this being so lengthy- thanks for hanging in there!),

Juliana

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, never apologize for such wonderful blogging! What a terrific first day; so many fun and exciting activities! THANK YOU for being so descriptive and detail oriented-cause that's the stuff I LOVE to hear about! I'm going to read this one again. All of your new friends sound as wonderful as you!! Any pictures?? xoxo

    ReplyDelete